Thursday, June 23, 2016

Proud Teacher Moment

All of my students know that as amazing as my parents were, they were not supportive of my drumming at all. I don't believe their decision not to support me was based on anything malicious but rather was based on their own experiences as well as their belief system. Consequently, I had to do everything on my own to further my drumming passion. Who knows... if they hadn't been unsupportive, perhaps my own drive would have been diminished.  Regardless, I hold no grudges as now that I'm a parent myself, I know just how hard a job it is!

My background and lack of support molded me into the drummer/educator I am today. My goal with ALL of my students is to give them the education, support and mentorship I longed for when I was a young drummer. I had some teachers who weren't that great as well as some amazing teachers whose guidance allows me to make a living as a drummer. 

Many of my students take lessons as a hobby or activity to enrich their lives as well as expose them to the wonder of music. Some of my students are as impassioned as I was/am and are on a lifelong journey making music a priority. I've had many students go onto prestigious music schools, tour in bands with their friends and even take the teaching torch and grow their own teaching practices.  When these students take that leap of faith and allow their passions to guide them (coupled with their parents support) it gives me no greater joy. 

I've had the privilege of teaching Thomas Lowrey since he was 5 years old. 
Today Thomas is 13 years old and is just as passionate and dedicated as he was at his first lesson!

My wife and I have become good friends with Thomas' parents. They are amazing people who support Thomas in all his endeavors. Thomas is a straight A student and plays club ice hockey as well!  This kid puts his whole heart into everything he does!

I'm so proud to announce that Thomas has his own website now which he updates frequently! It's such a rush for me to see this young man grow over the years. Please take some time to check out Thomas' new site!  He's got some great pictures of his drumming heroes as well as exciting videos of his playing. He's currently in the process of putting a band together!  

Here is the link for Thomas' site!  Be sure to check it out and keep checking back as I'm confident he'll be going places!