Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Inaugural YouTube Lesson Video!

I've finally gotten around to creating a YouTube channel for Rob Ferrell Drum Studio! It's been something I've wanted to do for quite some time. Now that my son has started first grade, I have a little more time while he's in school.

For the first installment, I've opted to talk about one of my favorite rudiment/conjunction licks. It's the 6 Stroke Roll with an extra RLL added to create a 9 note grouping. Using the original 6 Stroke Roll as one phrase and the 6 Stroke Roll plus RLL as another phrase, we can randomly mix and match the two phrases to create longer more music phrases!

Have fun practicing this one. Remember to start slowly on one surface (practice pad or snare drum) then you can experiment with orchestrating it around the drum set!