Sunday, January 17, 2010

NAMM 2010!

This weekend marks the passing of yet another NAMM show. For those that don't know, NAMM is the National Association of Music Merchants. It is the biggest music industry trade show. Winter NAMM is usually held in Anaheim and summer NAMM is held in Nashville. The NAMM show encompasses every aspect of the music industry. You'll find everything from small mom and pop companies selling erasers that look like musical instruments to industry giants like Yamaha. It is truly a spectacle to behold.

I first attended the NAMM show in the late 80s with my friends. I was blown away by the amount of new gear and the amount of my drumming heroes walking the aisles! It was very inspirational for me to go and I remember feeling extremely motivated after my visits. Now that I'm older, I don't get quite as star-struck as I did when I was younger. I bemoan how my feet, knees and hips feel after hours of walking. I don't enjoy the volume levels within the convention center nor the crowds. But even though I'm a grizzled veteran, I still enjoy the spectacle. I love the smell of new drums. I enjoy seeing friends I've made on Internet drumming boards that I only get to see once a year at the show. I also enjoy geeking out with my local friends that I'm lucky enough to gig with and hang out with. I still have to pinch myself when I walk up to the booths of the companies whose products I endorse and they KNOW me. I remember being a kid thinking how cool that must be. I can't thank Remo, Pro-Mark and Onboard Research enough for all that they do for me. Having an excellent product is one thing, but having stellar people skills and customer service in addition to that excellent product is a rarity in today's market.

So despite the crowds, noise level and aching extremities, NAMM still holds some magic for me and probably always will!