Monday, January 6, 2014

January Update 2014!

It's been a couple of months since I've updated my news/blog as the end of 2013 was super busy!  I took my usual two weeks off the kids have from school to focus on spending time with my family. I finally have some time to update the blog on the goings on at Rob Ferrell Drum Studio!

January means NAMM!  For those that don't know, NAMM is the National Association of Music Merchants.  It is the BIGGEST trade show in the music industry.  Winter NAMM is usually held the third weekend in January in Anaheim.  Thanks to the wonderful support of Remo drumheads, I'm attending once again this year!  I look forward to seeing my company contacts and checking out all the new gear.  I plan on taking lots of pictures and will update the blog with lots of info and pics from the show!

2013 was a year of learning for me.  I spent lots of time practicing my drums and noticed a big difference by year's end.  I look forward to growing more this year as well.  My teaching business has grown to six days a week!  It's been crazy busy (hence the lack of blog/news updates.)  2014 isn't showing any signs of slowing down either!  I'm very grateful to have a full roster of students.  I cherish each and every one of them as well as their families.  Many I'm proud to call friends!  In fact, a few of the parents of my students who are musicians got together and formed a band called "Jen & Tonic."  The band played on New Year's Eve!  The bassist's son (my student Alex) sat in a couple of tunes.  Here is a video of Alex playing "Rock Candy" by Montrose!


In addition to playing with Jen & Tonic, I had the privilege to sub in my old band Party Jones.  Another learning moment for me in 2013 was that life is too short to deal with grudges, drama and negativity.  Each day should be spent living to the fullest with an emphasis on gratitude.  I'm grateful for everything I have and want to live out the rest of my days with an attitude of gratitude!

I also subbed in another band comprised of some friends!  The LA based band "Zota Pop" has James "Zota" Baker on drums and Brad "Woody" Smith on bass.  I played with these two cats in Party Jones for a few years.  Anytime their regular drummer can't make a gig, I'm more than honored to play with them as well.

I also did some local subbing with The Three Mustaches and Chain Reaction.  As much as I enjoy subbing, I miss the camaraderie of playing in a regular band with a static lineup… not to mention not having to learn a night's worth of material in a short period of time!

I wish everyone a happy, healthy and prosperous 2014!