Tuesday, May 22, 2012

777-9311

A student last week asked me about learning the drum groove from The Time's song "777-9311."  Although I was very familiar with the song, I had never taken the time to learn the groove.  I know it was originally programmed on a Linn drum machine.  On YouTube there are many videos of different drummers (both known and unknown) sharing their personal takes on the groove.  As drum machines can do things human drummers are incapable of, it was interesting to me to see so many different variations both in videos and in actual notation.


As is my habit, I prefer doing things my own way so I first slowed down the original track and notated it. Then I began scouring YouTube for different live versions.  Gregg Bissonette does his take on it on his last instructional DVD.  John Blackwell does a killer versions.  There are many non-famous drummers that also do excellent variations on the classic beat.  I found a live performance by the time on American Bandstand and was able to slow that version down as well.  Granted it was most likely lip synced as was the practice for most of the performances on that show but Jellybean Johnson had to fake like he was playing it and he KILLED the track on that performance.  That was the track I decided to actually transcribe.  Below are the links to the video I used as well as my transcription of that live drum track.  Enjoy!


777-9311 Live on American Bandstand

777-9311 Grooves Transcription